Former Ohioan: Anthrax Scientist Commits Suicide? Or Was He Murdered To Keep Him From Testifying In Court?

By Michael Difensore

The suicide of Bruce E. Ivins seems very suspect to me. The big reason I say this is because he would have to go to court in the near future. His testimony would have brought either more suspects or the real suspects. Bruce E. Ivins looks like the fall guy and the real anthrax attack criminals are on the lose. Now that the government blamed Bruce Ivins for the anthrax attacks their is no need for more investigations. The anthrax attacks prime purpose was to pass the Patriot Act into law and add to the fire for war in Iraq. It was used to scare the American public to give up their liberties and freedoms. Remember the Anthrax came from U.S. government labs. And the order to make the most dangerous form of anthrax ever invented and to mail it to people certainly did not come from Bruce E. Ivins. Below is a History Channel Video about the Anthrax attacks.

History Channel Video About Anthrax Attack Inside Job – Click Here.

Former Ohioan: Anthrax scientist commits suicide as FBI closes in

Friday, August 1, 2008 8:20 AM

Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) — A top U.S. biodefense researcher apparently committed suicide just as the Justice Department was about to file criminal charges against him in the anthrax mailings that traumatized the nation in the weeks following the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, according to a published report.

The scientist, Bruce E. Ivins, 62, who worked for the past 18 years at the government’s biodefense labs at Fort Detrick, Md., had been told about the impending prosecution, the Los Angeles Times reported for Friday editions. The laboratory has been at the center of the FBI’s investigation of the anthrax attacks, which killed five people.

Ivins died Tuesday at Frederick Memorial Hospital in Maryland. The Times, quoting an unidentified colleague, said the scientist had taken a massive dose of a prescription Tylenol mixed with codeine.

Tom Ivins, a brother of the scientist, told The Associated Press that another of his brothers, Charles, told him Bruce had committed suicide.

A woman who answered the phone at Charles Ivins’ home in Etowah, N.C., refused to wake him and declined to comment on his death. “This is a grieving time,” she said.

A woman who answered the phone at Bruce Ivins’ home in Frederick declined to comment.

Justice Department spokesman Peter Carr and FBI Assistant Director John Miller declined to comment on the report.

Henry S. Heine, a scientist who had worked with Ivins on inhalation anthrax research at Fort Detrick, said he and others on their team have testified before a federal grand jury in Washington that has been investigating the anthrax mailings for more than a year.

Heine declined to comment on Ivins’ death.

Norman Covert, a retired Fort Detrick spokesman who served with Ivins on an animal-care and protocol committee, said Ivins was “a very intent guy” at their meetings.

Ivins was the co-author of numerous anthrax studies, including one on a treatment for inhalation anthrax published in the July 7 issue of the journal Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy.

Just last month, the government exonerated another scientist at the Fort Detrick lab, Steven Hatfill, who had been identified by the FBI as a “person of interest” in the anthrax attacks. The government paid Hatfill $5.82 million to settle a lawsuit he filed against the Justice Department in which he claimed the department violated his privacy rights by speaking with reporters about the case.

The Times said federal investigators moved away from Hatfill and concluded Ivins was the culprit after FBI Director Robert Mueller changed leadership of the investigation in 2006. The new investigators instructed agents to re-examine leads and reconsider potential suspects. In the meantime, investigators made progress in analyzing anthrax powder recovered from letters addressed to two U.S. senators, according to the report.

Besides the five deaths, 17 people were sickened by anthrax that was mailed to lawmakers on Capitol Hill and members of the news media in New York and Florida just weeks after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. The victims included postal workers and others who came into contact with the anthrax.

In the six months following the anthrax mailings, Ivins conducted unauthorized testing for anthrax spores outside containment areas at USAMRIID – the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases at Fort Detrick – and found some, according to an internal report by the U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command, which oversees the lab.

In December 2001, after conducting tests triggered by a technician’s fears that she had been exposed, Ivins found evidence of anthrax and decontaminated the woman’s desk, computer, keypad and monitor, but didn’t notify his superiors, according to the report.

The report says Ivins performed more unauthorized sampling on April 15, 2002, and found anthrax spores in his office, in a passbox used for moving materials in and out of labs, and in a room where male workers changed from civilian clothing into laboratory garb.

Ivins told Army investigators he conducted unauthorized tests because he was worried that the powdered anthrax in letters that had been sent to USAMRIID for analysis might not have been adequately contained.

In January 2002, the FBI doubled the reward for helping solve the case to $2.5 million, and by June officials said the agency was scrutinizing 20 to 30 scientists who might have had the knowledge and opportunity to send the anthrax letters.

After the government’s settlement with Hatfill was announced in late June, Ivins started showing signs of strain, the Times said. It quoted a longtime colleague as saying Ivins was being treated for depression and indicated to a therapist that he was considering suicide. Family members and local police escorted Ivins away from the Army lab, and his access to sensitive areas was curtailed, the colleague told the newspaper. He said Ivins was facing a forced retirement in September.

The colleague declined to be identified out of concern that he would be harassed by the FBI, the report said.

Ivins was one of the nation’s leading biodefense researchers.

In 2003, Ivins and two of his colleagues at the USAMRIID received the highest honor given to Defense Department civilian employees for helping solve technical problems in the manufacture of anthrax vaccine.

In 1997, U.S. military personnel began receiving the vaccine to protect against a possible biological attack. Within months, a number of vaccine lots failed a potency test required by federal regulators, causing a shortage of vaccine and eventually halting the immunization program. The USAMRIID team’s work led to the reapproval of the vaccine for human use.

The Times said Ivins was the son of a Princeton-educated pharmacist who was born and raised in Lebanon, Ohio. He received undergraduate and graduate degrees, including a Ph.D. in microbiology, from the University of Cincinnati.

He and his wife, Diane, owned a home just outside the main gate to Fort Detrick, about two blocks from an apartment where Hatfill once lived.

Neocons Pressured FBI to Blame al-Qaeda for Anthrax Attacks

Kurt Nimmo
August 4, 2008

By the time Bush and Cheney were making their ludicrous statements, the FBI knew the anthrax mailed to media outlets was a military strain. Osama and crew “couldn’t go from box cutters one week to weapons-grade anthrax the next,” an ex-FBI official told the Daily News.

It was another example of sloppy work on the part of the neocons to blame Muslims and add fodder to their total war campaign. As the Daily News reported over the weekend, neocons in the Bush White House repeatedly put pressure on FBI Director Robert Mueller to “prove” the 2001 anthrax attacks was the work of Osama bin Laden and his cave dwelling terrorists, an impossible task at best due to the fact the anthrax used in the attacks was a weaponized strain produced by the U.S. military.

“After the Oct. 5, 2001, death from anthrax exposure of Sun photo editor Robert Stevens, Mueller was ‘beaten up’ during President Bush’s morning intelligence briefings for not producing proof the killer spores were the handiwork of terrorist mastermind Osama Bin Laden, according to a former aide,” James Gordon Meek writes for the New York Daily News. “They really wanted to blame somebody in the Middle East,” a retired senior FBI official told the newspaper.

Bush and Cheney lamely attempted to pin the attack on al-Qaeda and its lap dance loving jihadists. “There may be some possible link” to Bin Laden, Bush declared on October 15, 2001. Cheney said Osama’s cave dwellers were trained “how to deploy and use these kinds of substances, so you start to piece it all together.” Bush and Cheney did not bother to explain how distant terrorists, supposedly living in remote caves in one of the most backward regions on the planet, managed to get their hands on a bioweapon substance manufactured at Fort Detrick, Maryland.

By the time Bush and Cheney were making their ludicrous statements, the FBI knew the anthrax mailed to media outlets was a military strain. Osama and crew “couldn’t go from box cutters one week to weapons-grade anthrax the next,” an ex-FBI official told the Daily News.

As international law expert and former Bush Senior bioweapons advisor Francis A. Boyle told Alex Jones last year, the New York Times revealed that the anthrax used in the letters sent to Democrat senators Tom Daschle and Patrick Leahy was highly sophisticated, produced by “special electro-static treatment… This is superweapons-grade anthrax that even the United States government, in its openly proclaimed programs, had never developed before. So it was obvious to me that this was from a U.S. government lab.” And yet Cheney and Bush expected the American people to believe it was cooked up by goat herders in Afghanistan.

As should expected, the Daily News — owned by neocon Mortimer Zucker, connected to the Washington Institute for Near East Policy — and the rest of the corporate media refuse to put two and two together. “After the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, the Bush Administration tried to ram the USA PATRIOT Act through Congress,” Boyle told Jones. “Senators Tom Daschle (D-South Dakota) and Patrick Leahy (D-Vermont) were holding it up because they realized what this would lead to. The first draft of the PATRIOT Act would have suspended the writ of habeas corpus [which protects citizens from unlawful imprisonment and guarantees due process of law]. Then all of a sudden, out of nowhere, come these anthrax attacks.”

Now we are expected to believe the secrets of the anthrax attacks died with Dr. Bruce E. Ivins, the Army scientist who allegedly committed suicide after it was reported that he was likely to be charged in the attacks. FBI “investigators had an array of indirect evidence that they argue strongly implicates Dr. Ivins in the attacks,” reports the New York Times. “That evidence includes tracing the prestamped envelopes used in the attacks to stock sold in three Maryland post offices, including one in Frederick, frequented by Dr. Ivins, who had long rented a post office box there under an assumed name, the source said. The evidence also includes records of the scientist’s extensive after-hours use of his lab at the United States Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases around the time the letters were mailed, the source said.”

Now that Mr. Ivins is dead and cannot defend himself, “evidence” against him “might be made public as early as Wednesday, if the bureau could persuade a federal judge to unseal the evidence and if agents could brief survivors of the anthrax attacks and family members of those who died.” Implication of Ivins follows a settlement in June with Dr. Steven J. Hatfill, who was falsely accused of launching the attacks.

Even if the government successfully blames Ivins, this will not change the fact the attacks came at precisely the time the neocons were ramming their police state legislation through Congress and letter recipients Daschle and Leahy were acting as bulwarks against it. The FBI may facilitate the government’s attempt to pin the blame on a dead scientist and the corporate media may declare the case closed, but this will not put to rest troubling questions the corporate media will not touch with a ten foot pole.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.